Friday, August 24, 2007

New Environment

Today was my official first day in my new office at 350. Before I go on, we address the different departments in my org by the Block/Building that they are in. So now, I am in 350.

Have I ever mentioned before that I have about the BEST place in the office? My seat faced directly into the Residential Home that I am working with. Constantly, I will have kids making funny faces in front of me. While I was working hard at delivering an email, I heard a faint knock! At Blk 5, when someone knock, someone wants to get into the office. Thus, I turned and look around but there was no one. The faint knock continued then I realized the knock was JUST right in front of me - a little kid waving frantically in front of me.

Now, I also have the flexibility to visit the kids, them being next door now. That's a luxury which I did not have whilst I was still at Blk 5 (my old Dept). The past 2 months, I have to specially dedicate certain time to be at 350. Not forgetting that I have to travel there. Physically, I do get tired & sometimes, I don't travel as religiously as I ought to. Now, whenever I am tired facing the PC or when I feel like being involve in the kids' life, I pop next door and go "HALLLOOO!!!"

At the same time, I also got a few more nicknames (or names) to my dictionary. At Blk 5, my colleagues call me "3-Claw", the direct translation from "Sun-drua". At 350, the list continues. One girl told me "Hey.. your name sounds like Santa Claus! Sandra, Santa Claus, Sandra Santa Claus, sounds alike right? Can I call you that?" Then the little ones who are weaker in pronunciation calls me Zandraaa.

Kids also got very curious. "Sandra, your office will be here already ah?" "Sandra, your car is the black one right? Ya la! Must be that! Don't bluff." "Sandra, you staying tonight?" There are 2 girls who is giving me more friendly smiles lately.. One even gave me her favorite "Water Babies". Basically, water baby is this small little round thing that will grow as you put them in water. After awhile, it breaks forth into smaller ones. To me, it's Sago seeds. To the kids, it's a BIG thing. So, I also learn how to get excited with them.. There's Yellow, Blue, Purple & even the transparent ones!

Then there is this kid who gives me "secret" eye movement. That's because when I brought him out one day, I allowed him to play the games in my phone. To me, who's a control freak, took me lots of guts to pass him my personal items. Yet on the other hand, I think of closing that relationship gap as more important. Control freak took 2nd place. Tactic kinda helped a little. I've got this "secret" eye thingy with him.

The close proximity that I am having now is truly a luxury. I get to work more directly with the kids & I can see how the physical move to 350 has caused the kids to be more open. Perhaps, it's only now since things are still new to them and to me, getting excited and all. & I am sure that things are going to get even more exciting!

Tomorrow will be my first weekend off after a month. While I was working, I was thinking of the many things that I could do during the weekend. Now that I got my off, I do not know what to do!! Instead, I am thinking "What are the kids doing now?"... Gosh.. I better get a good break! Ok, I shall go for a swim then repair watches & clock then have a good lunch. YUM...! Bye....

No comments: