Saturday, August 25, 2007

Breakdown of communication ^.^

I had a good afternoon nap today. The Brisbane radio station, 4KQ, was blasting over my PC causing me to reminisce about the good times (and bad times) I had there. :) And so, I slept. I slept so well that I keep snoozing my alarm clock. 2:15pm, 2:30pm, 2:45pm and finally I decided that it's really time to wake up. I promised to prepare dinner at 3pm. And so, I woke up.

Whilst I was cooking, I was deep in thought about the email disputes I experience recently at work. It all started with a simple question asking what happened that caused the fall through. The reply was then, somewhat unpleasant. The reply back at that reply was even more unpleasant. Being one of the recipients, I was feeling angry yet at the same time, I hope so much for it to stop. Finally, someone brave replied that email reprimanding them. I was so happy cause it just relayed what was in my heart.

To me, it's a classic example of how escalation of anger had taken place due to the lack of good communication. It really started with a simple question. It ended with nasty language used. It really started with a good intention. I don't know how things just went out of hand. Bad past track records? Bad experiences before? Bad impression?

Emails, smses or any sorts of communications that isn't face to face somehow tends to have a higher chance of misunderstandings to take place.

Yesterday, I spent about 4 hours just to draft an email that is even shorter than this entry. An email that could either break the support that I already not yet have or build that support into something greater. The last thing I ever wanted was a misunderstanding. The last thing I ever wanted was for them to feel that they are alone. I wanted them to know that if ever needed, I & my co-workers along with other workers on the case is together with them. With great courage, I click the "Sent" button and prayed for good reply. When I returned home last night, I was welcomed by the principal's reply. A positive one. *PHEW*

Anyway, as I was cooking today, it just hit me that actually, everyone really start off with good intentions in mind. The first email with a simple question really started with good intentions in mind. However, intentions misread, anger escalated.

Love is patient
Love is kind
It does not envy
It does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude
It is not self-seeking
It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects
Always trusts
Always hopes
Always perseveres
Love never fail

No comments: