Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Voice

Geo reminded me today about what I encouraged him nearly a year back. I said that if there is a need to talk, to fight, for the benefit of the kids and parents, as Social Workers, we just have to fight for them.

Before the reminder, I was sharing that I am feeling so tired, physically. Past few months, I was literally fighting verbally. Fighting for the 'rights' of the child/guardian/parents. Often, I find myself stuck in the middle. I am generally not a fighter. I do not like to debate, I do not like to quarrel. I do feel very drained after each 'debating' session. The last time I broke down because I felt so helpless after the debate.

However, I am reminded, again, that as a Social Worker, we are the voice for the people we serve. Today, I just felt overwhelmed when a mother gave me a hug when they know that her children will be reintegrated soon. Although I did not do much, my colleague and I became the bridge for her and the community. We became the voices for her, speaking up for her & empowering her.

No comments: