Thursday, April 10, 2008

Challenges & Growth

Ok, I did it. I told my boss straight in the face, casually, that I hate talking to lawyers.

Yes yes yes... My boss is a lawyer all right. He is through and through a lawyer. He talks like a lawyer and acts like a lawyer. Almost immediately with my statement, he said "Lawyers tend to be aggressive & challenging right?"

He answered my question perfectly well! I had to confess to him that I am naturally not a person who likes to debate, not naturally a person who enjoys an aggressive & extremely challenging conversation, although, I can be rather assertive for what I believe in. There are times when he put forth to me a challenge purposely (cause he knows he can bully me!) & I do get stuck even after a few tries of standing up for myself.

I guess deep within, I have to ultimately confess to him also that such conversations can leave me feeling inadequate & helpless. Nobody likes to feel that way.

That being said, I did share with my colleague also that right from the start when I had my very first interview at my organization, I had wanted to be under my current boss (although he's NOT a person with good first-impressions). As much as he challenges my inadequacy & cause me to feel helpless at times, I do appreciate that it does bring about growth in me. Hmm... But I have to say that it's tough eating humble time so often. Haa!!

No comments: