Saturday, April 19, 2008

When God closes a door......

.... He opens another!!!

Life has been most most most fruitful for me at work. Between my colleague and myself, we felt that this is the fun-nest part about Residential Work. Not only that it's the fun-nest. It's the most frustrating part.

Being the "voice" of the parents/guardians is a challenge. Advocating for them, speaking up for them, sharing with other professionals the change the family has gone through for the past months/years is most most most difficult. The hugest hindrance is when the professionals have a fixated impression of the "naughty" child or "irresponsible" parent which was probably 2 years ago. Getting them to see the child/parent in the current light, getting them to see that they have been changed, getting them to remove that tainted glasses over their eyes is......... C.H.A.L.L.E.N.G.I.N.G.

Like said, challenges can be the most frustrating part of my work. Yet, it's been the most fun too. Yesterday, I recalled something that was said on Sound of Music - When God closes one door, He opens another. After being turned away by a Principal yesterday because of tainted glasses, I made my way to the neighborhood area and look for other community resources. I just didn't believe that everyone in the community would reject me.

As I am typing this, I do realize that my work has helped in the process of molding my confidence. Over the past few months, I have become braver. I didn't realized that I can be quite a "debater" and speak up if I totally believe in something/someone. At the end of my reflection, I have to attribute this change in me to God. I do not think I would be successful in my little milestones if not for Him who supports me. I guess in my area of work that deals so closely with human relationships, there are times when I get really depressed & burdened. Yet, it's in times like these that I have learned how to commit this boy or girl or family to God and let Him lead my way.

No comments: