Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Religiously Maths

One morning when I entered my office, I found this comic strip on my table. I didn't know who left it there or who it was for but I kept it nonetheless. (I LURRVE Calvin & Hobbes!!!)

Later in the afternoon, boss came in. Rattle rattle rattle and then he turned and stared at me and asked "Hey! You received the comic strip I left on your table or not??" Joke has it that boss is very bad with Mathematics and I often tease him because it comes easy to me. He will then always glare at me with his small eye as if he's ready to kill and tell me "What is wrong with you? How can you love Maths?"

Jokes & teasing aside, boss finally shared that how Calvin feel is exactly how our work is like. Often, if not always, we really really do not have the answers for anybody. We just simply have to shrug our shoulders and say "Sorry, I really do not know." We simply have to pray that every decision we make at every crossroads are like Equations that bring about a "Miracle answer"!! Somehow, it just will happen magically.

Child protection work is indeed not easy. The amount of tears I had shed, the pain my heart had gone through, the times when all I could do is to hug the child, times when I feel frustrated when the child is unwanted, times when I had to resolve quarrels or pull apart a fight, times when I feel "Oh! It's the dead end again!". And oooooOooH... Not forgetting times when you get a hair-pulling experience when the child decided to act up and do something funny. Once, I literally feel like slapping the child. Then, at the most appropriate time, the child just drop tears. Aiyoz.... I tell you, my heart is like "ARgh!!! Make up your mind! You want to be naughty or poor thing???" But all I could do was to cuddle the child.

That's the thing about child protection work you see. The child probably has been traumatized and is very very confused. The usual adults in their life have set a bad example and here we are, trying to re-write what they had learn. How so can we, the new adults in their life, re-write what they had learned all their life?

Friends have once commented that the emotional type of persons cannot do this job. However, I often question back - If you don't work with emotions, how can you survive this job? For this job is not a job really.

No comments: