Sunday, March 09, 2008

Expect the Unexpected......

... & things WILL BE unexpected!!!

I was awoken really early this morning due to some slight debate between my parents with regards to my dog. Decided to just get up & go to work early & hope to get some sleep on the train.

So, I hopped on the train with SLEEP in my mind. Unfortunately, I chose a seat that's beside a mother who was trying to educate her son. FORTUNATELY, it was a heartwarming 25 mins journey to hear a mother educate her son through her church leader's mission trip to China. She shared, throughout, how blessed are they to have a roof over their head, never having to worry for food (and she quoted from the worry-free sparrows from the book of Matthew), never having to be overly concerned about money because parents are working. She shared how cold the weather was in China YET, the people of ROC slept on the floor. More importantly, she emphasized that despite the lack, they are still so happy!

I was very very glad to see that the conversation was NEVER one way. Her son replied in great awe & said "Wah! I am really blessed hor?!"

In this time & age, I feel that children in this small island has lost the ability to be thankful. Just last night, I saw a little boy scolding his dad for not ordering his favorite food (yet, the table was full with dishes). I am not saying that parents have not done their job to teach their children well. However, when one is fully provided for, it's often difficult to see how poor the poor can be. And for this, I am not talking about the financially poor too.

That scene set the mood of my day, in a way. I was reminded to be thankful in ALL circumstances. To be thankful for the things that I already have and will have in time to come.

Unexpectedly, I did not have to work till 2pm. I was SO glad that all the residents' parents were able to spend a day with them so by 11:45am, I was relieved from my duties. I made it to UDMM in time & managed to squeeze a little time to Plaza Singapura to get some scrapbook stuffs before I make my way to a kiddo recital by the Tang Quartet organized by Acts 3 International!

It was one of the BEST performance I have seen of the group. It was entitled Journey with T'ang Quartet & the guys really brought us through a journey - First lullaby, First day at school, First sports day, First frightening moment, First happy moment, etc. I have to admit, it brought out the reflective part of me, thinking of my many Firsts. I love every moment of the 60 mins!!

Proverbs 22:6
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

No comments: