Sunday, July 05, 2009

Thanksgiving!

Quick post just so that when I look back, I can smile when I read this post.

Today was Streetwise Run Day! Today was a rainy day! Today, I bathed under the sky and it was such a wonderful feeling.. (although the aftermath of it was a very very cold journey back to the Home). Nonetheless, I had to blog this happy day!

1. Beyond Social Services being so big, me being 'trapped' in an ulu place in Singapore, far away from my other colleagues, I always enjoy organization-wide events like this. I caught up with my ex-office colleagues. It was nice just laughing and jesting around. Some who are already mothers brought their children and it was such a ball!

2. While waiting for our bus to arrive, I walked over to speak to my colleague and this fat & cute 7 year old boy (who doesn't know me) saw me walking over, stretched out his hand for mine. He took my left hand, intertwined his fingers with mine, brought it to his lips and he gave it a little kiss! Then he looked at me eyes opened wide and everyone went "Wah..... the other hand leh!" Then he got all shy and walked away. What caused him to do that, I do not know. Maybe I look too pathetic in all-wet clothings!

3. Thank God for Deborah who came, ran, got wet and lent me her slippers cause I was more than drenched.

4. Have I ever shared that the first time I cleaned shit and backside was at my Home? I thank a little girl who gave me this opportunity and somehow, the toileting, the teaching of ABCs, the fetching to & fro has cause me to love this girl deeply. Thank God for a better home environment, she returned to her parents last year. She is always in my thoughts, often in my prayers. Sometimes, I will wonder 'Does she remember me? Is she living a better life?". Today, I met her again! When she saw me, she walked straight up to me, took my hand, pulled me down to her level and gave me a tight hug. I love this girl. Indeed.

5. After the event, I reached Tampines just in time to meet Mummy and Carol. They had a wonderful dinner and was waiting for me to choose my gift. Thank God for family!

6. Speaking of family, last night, I had a wonderful time with my extended family. It was my little nephew's birthday, my cousin's son.

Laughters.

Honestly, it was something I really miss over the years. Remembering when I was very young, 5 or 6 years old maybe, my mum and her sisters will organize stayovers at company bungalows. Carol and I will really look forward to those times cause it means the beach, sand and fun! It means meeting cousins again! As we grow older, such get-together times grew lesser.

Technology have really progressed. Before, we compete whose sandcastle is higher. Now, my little nephews compete who can complete which level for PSP. I feel that gone are those days where we laugh through physical play. We wrestle, we feel the sand.

Nonetheless, I thank God for my cousin Michelle who arranged for this family gathering.

A bungalow party in 1984. We were standing in front of daddy's car.
Celebrating my gong gong's birthday at my 6th aunt house. Other than weddings, birthdays are quite the best time for gathering.

My cousin Audrey's daughter! Such lovely unique look. I enjoy seeing her play bubbles.

Cousin Audrey and Cousin Ee Cheng. Can spot them from the above 1984 photo?


Ah yes, I 'stole' Carol's crocs slipper! Not mine. :P

Cousin Ee San. She's really the best! She links us all up all the time.

YEAH! Birthday boy!

Generation 1

Generation 2 and 3
I do have quite a huge family - a social capital I never thought I had and now, I thank God for them!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

On the crocs, I was still tiking how come u & Olivier wearing the same kind while Geo is different...hehe, now it explains....u stole Carol's.....hahaha.

sandra lim said...

Haa! I knew someone out there will wonder. Haa!