Saturday, November 21, 2009

Melbourne Afterthoughts

Last week this day, I was on my way back home from Melbourne. Time flies heh? Often I wonder "What my future lies?" Anyway, just want to jot down my afterthoughts from my 14-days trip.

On caring
People would not know how much you care until they see how much you care.

I was teamed with a classmate for a game called "Present upfront". We were given 10 mins to get to know our teammate - Where are you from? What do you do? What do you like to do? After we got 2 mins to present to the rest of the group who is our teammate.

In the 10 mins while I was questioned, I felt interrogated. However, in the next 2 mins, it was presented like I was my teammate's best friend. I felt queer.

I asked myself "Hmmm... How does my clients feel when I speak to them? Sometimes, the work requires lots of questioning and questioning, in essence, can feel like an interrogation. We do social work because we want to care. Yet, does people know we care if we question interrogatively?

Disclaimer: This is NOT a complain. It was just how I felt at that point of time.

On self-awareness
I was having lunch in a Missions House. This Missions House serves the destitute, the homeless, the poor for specific regions by giving out food. Unless we have a card, we would have to purchase our own lunch, which is very cheap.

Inside the Missions House, my colleague and I did the usual - took photos. As we had a classmate who joined us for lunch, we got a little "high" taking photos, posing here and there.

While we were laughing happily, this old man walked to me and in his indifferent slow speech, he said "I have never taken a photo before because I have never owned a camera before."

Immediately, I teared. I felt so sorry. So sorry that I totally forgot where I was and there I was flaunting my wealth, camera, watch, money to buy food, etc. I felt so shameful actually. I don't mean to but donning the hat of a tourist, I totally forgotten where I was.

On passion
7 years ago, I had wanted so so much to stay on in Oz after my studies. Then, I felt I had the burden for the people because I felt that there were many who professed they are Christians but many were just Sunday Church goer.

In this trip, I realized that 7 years ago, I wanted to stay on because hmm... I think I was young. I wanted to be away from family. I wanted my so-called Freedom.

Over the years since I returned, I have developed a passion for my own people. I remember 4 years ago before I started my internship at Beyond, I questioned myself - Can I love people? Knowing that I have my fair share of complains of Singapore, I prayed for compassion. Sitting through the training, I found myself relating things I learned back to how it can be relevant to who I work with. I know, then, that I have grown to love my home country.

On hospitality
In the first hostel I stayed in, there were so many rooms for its guests. Yet, there were only 3 bathrooms. There were one night where I got so tired waiting for the bathroom that I slept without bathing. Also, when I first arrived, we were not very well-received.

In the second hostel, we were complimented with smiles and 4 eggs. we thought that was it but as we went to level 2, I was pleasantly surprised by the hallway. On the left were all the rooms. On the right were toilets and bathrooms. The ratio between rooms and bathrooms were fantastic.

I kinda thought of the facility I have at work in Sembawang. The facility we have is great. Lots of rooms, more than enough bathrooms so there is no need to fight. Perhaps the only thing we are lack of is probably genuine smile? Hmm.. Hospitality maybe? Understanding of whichever family we have there? As a recipient at 2 hostels, I understand the importance of having the reception understanding my needs and having to meet it! What worked well for my heart was also the warm welcome I received.

On appreciation
In the training, we had classmates coming from various countries - almost all classmates were involved in Social Circus.

In one session, a classmate shared about his youths holding onto pistols and knives, not to fight but to protect themselves. There were more sharing made along this line.

I was humbled. Very humbled. Whatever I did face or am facing is nothing nothing compared to their sharing. I began to appreciate where I am living, a secured and sheltered place.

Now, whenever a complain is at the tip of my tongue, I bite it to remind myself how blessed I am.

No comments: